Garden mice are a source of terror for many home and land owners. By using simple tricks, you can keep rodents away and prevent re-infestation. However, you should know that if you forget something important, you may be fined.
Not only birds, hedgehogs and mice feel comfortable in the garden. Mice also appreciate the combination of hiding places and food sources. But not everyone is very happy with these small rodents – no matter how fond of animals they may be. Because mice are considered a health pest. And that is exactly why one important point should be paid special attention when taking them out and fighting them. A violation is considered an administrative offense and can result in a fine.
How do I recognize a rat infestation?
Mice leave visible traces in both the garden and the house. These include:
Brown rat: Rodent faeces often accumulate in one place. (Source: blickwinkel photos / imago)
- It is between one and two centimeters long.
- It is usually slightly curved
- It is not isolated, but rather accumulated in one place or distributed over an area.
Brown rats: rats also feed on grains and seeds. (Source: blickwinkel photos / imago)
- Wood, plastic, and paper were bitten off.
- Nutrition tags are especially common on containers used to store food such as seeds. However, the effects of feeding on cables and plants can also be seen.
Footprints in the Snow: Mice leave visible footprints. However, it is often only visible in the snow. (Source: blickwinkel/Getty Images)
Sometimes tail traces or footprints can be seen.
If several mice are nesting, they can emit a smell of ammonia. It is stimulated by the feces and urine of mice.
How do I get rid of mice in the garden?
Mice in the garden can be driven out or fought by simple means. This should be done in an environmentally and animal-friendly manner.
Mice have very sensitive noses. With Aromatherapy So you can partially drive out the animals.
- Soak several pieces of cloth in it turpentine And put it next to the items with food tags. The trick also works with vinegar essence.
- If you don’t have turpentine or vinegar on hand, you can sharpen the rag or cloth with peppermint or something else. essential oil We spray it and put it in the places that the rats prefer.
- Instead you can do something chili powder Spray in appropriate places. However, it can be easily disposed of, so you need to sprinkle new seasoning powder regularly. Another negative point: if chili powder gets into the nose or eyes of animals, it causes severe pain and torments them.
If the smell disappears, it can happen that the mice have returned. It may also happen that some mice perceive the smell to be less repelling and don’t let it push it away.
You can also drive out mice with sounds, for example a Ultrasound device. The device emits high-pitched sonic frequencies that rats and martens find annoying – even some cats or dogs can be bothered by the sounds. On the other hand, humans can only perceive sounds very weakly or not at all.
It is important that you use an ultrasound device that does not emit the tones evenly and frequently, but rather sends them out in different sequences and strengths. Otherwise, the mice will get used to it and will no longer perceive it as a danger.
The most effective and easiest trickRepelling mice in the garden makes life difficult for them. this means:
- Don’t leave leftovers outside unattended.
- Keep litter boxes tightly closed.
- Fill the compost correctly.
- Store seeds and grains airtight – preferably airtight and in very stable containers.
- Don’t put cat, dog, or hedgehog food outside or leave it out overnight.
- after roast Or public food in the garden or on the balcony, clean everything well.
- Close garden gates, patio doors, and basement windows. The same applies to garden shed doors.
- Install gaps, cracks and joints in walls, facades and fences against mice – that is: close them or provide them with bars.
- If mice have lodged in the garden, then initially you should refrain from feeding the birds.
Rat: Animals also love to help themselves in raising birds. (Image source: ArjanL/Getty Images)
Often it becomes so poison Used to fight mice. This remedy is effective and fast-acting, but it is also dangerous for animals and humans. In addition, it fights mice only in the short term and rarely solves the problem. Therefore, re-infection is possible once the poison is ingested or removed. It can also happen that mice recognize the poison and simply avoid it or leave it there.
Long-term control by a professional company is often more efficient.
Poison: Anyone using rat poison should observe and comply with safety precautions. (Image source: Business/Getty Images)
Means to help less
live traps Relatively pet friendly. However, mice are intelligent animals. It is therefore possible that the rodents are aware of this trap and thus avoid it. In addition, you only catch one mouse with a live trap. If you release them elsewhere, they may return to the original nest. It is also possible for a mouse or hedgehog to get lost in a live trap.
Rat in a cage: Usually one animal can be caught with a live trap. (Image source: anurak phraisan / Getty Images)
dead fall Not only are they brutal and tormenting rodents. It is also ineffective. On the other hand, other animals like mice or hedgehogs can also die in traps. On the other hand, rats are so smart that they will recognize more dead traps and thus will avoid them once a rat in their den is killed by such an action. The same usually applies to existing bolt traps or traps.
the cats Suitable for catching mice. However, lower than the glottis. Rodents are often quite large. Or they already had bad experiences with mice in battles and thus left them alone. So it is controversial whether cat litter Really drives out mice with cat urine and feces.
Enemy: Not every cat is suitable as an arcade cat. (Source: Анатолий Тушенцов / Getty Images)
Are mice dangerous in the garden?
Mice, like other wild animals in the park, can transmit diseases as well. However, this is very rare. A rat is more likely to bite because it feels threatened. The sting wound can then become infected. However, this can also be pet bites or other injuries caused by wild animals. However, mice do not attack humans. Rodents are often very afraid and tend to run away.
The plague was transmitted not directly by rats, but through the bite of rat fleas.
Where are the mice in the garden?
Brown mice often stay in the garden. They dig tunnels. So the infestation of rats can also be identified by the holes in the corridors.
In addition, mice often like to stay where they take shelter or where they can find food.
Garden rats are notified
Rats are among the health hazards (Section 2, §12 IfSG). For this reason, the infection must be reported – sometimes even suspected.
The report is sent to the health department or public order office responsible for your municipality or city – even if the mice are not on your private property but in a public place. The report can be submitted by phone, e-mail, letter or contact form on the authority’s website.
Tenants must report a rat infestation or suspicion to the landlord.
If you see a single mouse in the garden, there is no need to report it yet. You should only inform the authorities if there is a higher number or obvious signs of infection.
If you do not comply with the duty to report, there is an administrative offense that will be punished with a fine.
Fight or banishment?
It’s environmentally and animal friendly to repel mice rather than control them. In addition, you do not have to deal with the question of where to dispose of old carcasses and traps and whether you are endangering other living creatures with these measures.