Dogs: These venomous animals can be dangerous to your four-legged friends

A harmless dog walk can quickly end to death.

© dpa

The danger is lurking: A simple walk through woods and fields can quickly bring cuddly four-legged friends into life-threatening situations.

Symptoms are far-reaching and sometimes not easy to recognize. However, unexpected contact with certain animals can cause dogs to develop anything from anaphylactic shock to death. In most cases, it is advisable to consult a veterinarian, but you should act quickly, because the symptoms of poisoning should be taken seriously. Vacationers should also be careful, because a poisonous fish spreads in the Mediterranean Sea.

Dogs: These venomous animals can be dangerous to your four-legged friends

If a dog is bitten by an insect, then it is just like us, like humans: everything is possible, from slight redness with small itching to anaphylactic shock. Bees, hornets, hornets or even ants – now in the summer they are everywhere in nature and the risk of stinging, allergic reaction or infection is very high for humans and animals. Wasp alarms are always available for allergy sufferers when an increased incidence of wasps.

  • symptoms
    If there is anaphylactic shock, i.e. a very strong allergic reaction, dogs often develop fear, shortness of breath, weakness, severe skin irritation and can collapse, fall into a coma or even die. If the bite remains normal, itching, slight swelling and redness may occur.
  • treatment or treatment
    If your dog has a very severe allergic reaction or develops such symptoms, a vet or animal clinic should be consulted as soon as possible. Specialists can then inject adrenaline or corticosteroids, also known as cortisone, and get other intravenous medications ready for oxygen. In the case of a normal bite, it is usually sufficient to cool the bite site with pressure. Some vets will also prescribe antihistamines or creams and gels to relieve itching.
  • attention
    After a bee sting, the bee sting gets stuck. The bee stinger has a bag of venom, so it should not be pushed out, it should be carefully scraped off.

Common frogs and toads – these mollusks threaten the lives of dogs

Like hundeinfoportal.de He writes, frogs and especially common frogs are highly toxic to dogs. Even licking or sniffing these animals closely can lead to strong reactions because they are highly toxic. If your dog has bitten or even swallowed a frog, it’s time to go to the vet.

  • symptoms
    Dogs will rub their mouths, experience wheezing or change in breathing, or produce excessive salivation after contact with a frog. It can lead to shortness of breath, muscle cramps, irregular heartbeat and loss of strength.
  • treatment or treatment
    If the frog is ingested, a veterinarian should be consulted urgently, as this usually ends in the death of the dog. If only contact with the frog is observed, the dog’s mouth should be rinsed well with fresh water and symptoms noted. If symptoms appear, medical help should be sought.

When dogs are uncomfortable, they show it in their own way. Dog owners can read the signs and help out their four-legged friends.

© Kristin Klose / dpa-tmn

Salamanders and fire salamanders – amphibians in Germany poisonous to dogs

“Just look, don’t touch” is what people say when they meet a fiery salamander. However, what is merely annoying to humans is toxic to animals. The fire salamander rarely has any predators, but when threatened, it secretes a white secretion that contains venom.

  • symptoms
    Symptoms of poisoning are similar to touching a frog. Dogs salivate more, their mouths rub, breathing can change to wheezing, and in worse cases, muscle cramps, irregular heartbeat and loss of strength can occur.
  • treatment or treatment
    Contact with a fiery salamander usually ends in the dogs’ death, so it’s important to be especially careful here and instead head to a veterinary clinic quickly and describe the situation. Otherwise, the same applies here: rinse the dog’s mouth well with water.

Snakes – these bites are especially bad

There are enough venomous snakes in Germany too: venomous snakes are native to many places. There is a risk of being bitten by snakes, especially when walking in nature and when dogs roam freely. The most famous of them are vipers, grass snakes, smooth or smooth snakes. They should not be forgotten: exotic snakes are often much more dangerous and are often kept as pets. If such a poisonous snake broke out, then you need to be extremely careful, because such bites are quickly fatal. A hiker was recently bitten by a venomous snake and was not rescued until seven hours later.

  • symptoms
    Excessive panting, drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, nervous impotence, coordination problems, depression, and shock can be symptoms of a snakebite. Usually the paws or head of the dog are affected.
  • treatment or treatment
    If you are bitten by a snake, you should see a vet immediately. Do not vacuum, cut, or open the sting wound. The vet has an antidote and intravenous fluids, as well as medication.

Spiders – these scary reptiles are dangerous, although dogs are not afraid of them

Poisonous spiders are also increasingly common in Germany. For example, a large poisonous spider, the tarantula, is widespread, and may soon be in Germany. Dogs are usually not afraid of reptiles or do not see them at all and therefore a spider can bite them especially quickly.

  • symptoms
    Spider bites usually cause painful wounds. Other symptoms may also appear some time after the bite and include: weakness, agitation, fever, joint and muscle pain, convulsions and shock.
  • treatment or treatment
    If left untreated, a spider bite can quickly become fatal. The vet can give antidotes and other medications.

Toxin occurs repeatedly in our society, because toxic substances can also be found in the waters of Lake Constance, for example. In general, cases of poisoning should be treated with caution and help should be sought early rather than too late.

Leave a Comment