Stay away from wasps: this is how parasitic insects voluntarily disappear
By July at the latest, you can no longer sit undisturbed in the garden or on the balcony without being bothered by wasps. However, animals should not be killed, instead, there are tried and tested ways to drive insects away.
You might think that wasps have no decency: as soon as there is something edible (regardless of whether it is sweet or savory) on the table in the summer, insects pounce on it – in the truest sense of the word – cutting off a piece of it. However, the workers not only satiate their hunger, but also provide their offspring with snacks rich in protein and sugars. And since they don’t even stop for drinks, the chances of them being stung by a wasp are high between July and August. The danger is especially great for children and adults who are allergic to the sting. The question arises: how can you drive out annoying hornets without killing them?
This is why you shouldn’t kill wasps
Aside from the fact that wasps are protected by nature in Germany and may not be killed, there are many reasons why yellow and black insects are so useful: they hunt other pests such as mosquitoes, flies or aphids – thus contributing to the spread of biological insects. Pest Control. But the wasps themselves also serve as a food source for other animals, such as birds. In addition, insects actively help pollinate plants in the spring and thus maintain the balance of our ecosystem. For this reason, the Nature Conservation Union (NABU) also advises against purchasing deadly wasp traps filled with juice or beer: “Animals die a painful death in the liquid. In addition, only old animals fall into the trap. An active colony does this. Do not perish.”
note: Wasps become especially aggressive when you wave at them violently or blow on insects. This is because of the carbon dioxide in your breath and it triggers a kind of alarm signal in animals.
How to get rid of wasps
Of course there is live traps, which you can use to repel wasps. Alternatively, the following home remedies should also help the animals escape:
- Fresh basil is said to have a deterrent effect on wasps if you grow the weed in your vicinity.
- Presumably the same goes for garlic: chop several cloves and leave them on the table if you don’t mind.
- Citrus fruits such as lemons or oranges are said to be a tried and tested remedy against wasps if you cut them into slices and then add cloves.
- essential oils Such as peppermint, lavender, citronella, clove or tea tree oil has a similar effect on wasps.
- Smoke also blows in the air: Light some coffee powder in a fireproof bowl and set it on the table.
- According to the State Society for the Protection of Birds (LBV), a light spray of clean water should also be effective against wasps, as they mistake wet water for rain and flee.
advice: To prevent insects from flying into your home, you can attach custom insect screens to windows And the balcony doors Attach (let’s).
A hornet’s nest has been discovered: what to do?
Even if (according to NABU) only “non-problematic wasp species” tend to build their nests in bushes, behind planks or in roller blinds, many people are still bothered by this. It is understood that families with young children and those with allergies in particular do not feel comfortable with the constant presence of insects in their vicinity. But how do you actually act when you discover a nest – or notice how it is built? Most importantly, you should never attempt to remove a wasp burrow on your own. Alternatively, contact the responsible health or regulatory authority, a beekeeper or a professional pest controller. Apart from that, you should know that the animals leave their nest in the fall, after which you can clean it yourself.
These myths are not true
There are many myths about how to repel wasps – but not all of them are true. Like the following three examples.
- subordinate paper bag trick: It is said to attach a brown paper bag that is used as a kind of dummy web for wasps. there so far Weatherproof models to buy. But do they really help? NABU says at least that the effect is questionable and points out that: “In general, one might say that all species whose nests can be seen—that is, hanging freely in a bush or under a shed roof—can be assigned to non-problematic early disappearing species.” Of course, there is no harm in trying.
- number and colorful clothes Wear: You hear over and over that colorful textiles attract wasps just as much as flowers. But is this really the case? In fact, entomologist Professor Dr. Heinz Mehlhorn of Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf has a completely different opinion. “They do not feed on flowers, they feed mainly on insects and spiders. They do not react to colors, but to smells. They find everything irresistibly sweet,” he explained in a photo interview.
- hangs out copper coins Banish Wasps: Seriously, who really thinks that a few cents on the table will make bugs escape? At this point, it must be said to those who believe that the myth is true: there are no solid studies to prove it, and no scientific literature on it.
Sources: NABU, BILD, LBV
You may also be interested in:
This article contains so-called affiliate links. There is more information here.