BBQ – BUT (KID) SAFE!, ARAG SE, Press Release

Nearly a million Germans grill several times a week. It is doubtful whether that was enough to claim the title of world champion in barbecue. The truth is that about 4,000 barbecue accidents happen every year. Anyone can! sporadic! of these accidents. Young children in particular are at high risk when the barbecue season begins. For Child Safety Day on June 10th, ARAG experts give tips on how to make grilled sausage as easy as pie without any mishaps.

Children are a high-risk group
According to the Federal Working Group Safer for Children, about 60 percent of accidents involving children occur in their homes or in the home environment. Typical accidents include falls, drowning, poisoning, as well as burns and burns. Every year in Germany alone, about 30,000 children under the age of 15 require medical treatment for burns and burns. However, the group most at risk of developing hyperthermia are children up to the age of five.

In its annual report for 2021, the German Society of Burn Medicine counted 2,038 children. Most were children up to the age of three (77 percent) who had to be treated, some with severe burns. After all, typical barbecue accidents, such as those caused by a flame or burning fat, play a relatively small role at seven percent. However, young children most often fall to the front of fires and suffer burns to the front of the upper body (44 percent), arms (39 percent), hands (29 percent), and head/face (24 percent).

Rules in the interrogation
First of all, the grill should be as safe and protected from the wind as possible. If you use liquid barbecue lighters such as gasoline or spirits, you should always expect to have flashing fires. Tested paper, wooden or hardwood lighters from specialty retailers, eg spark blocks, spark rods or barbecue paste are more suitable for children. If you have no patience, you should get a gas stove. Because the charcoal needs some time to glow ready for grilling. ARAG experts strongly advise against using a liquid fire accelerator, as there is a risk of explosion.

When grilling, a fire often occurs due to fat dripping onto the coals. Uncontrollable jets of flame can develop rapidly. That’s why ARAG experts recommend using grill trays to put food on for grilling. Regardless of the lighter, grill and charcoal remain hot things whose dangers children often cannot assess. Therefore, they must learn from the beginning to maintain a safe distance of two to three meters. And fun near the grill is a taboo! In addition, children in particular should wear flame-retardant clothing made of natural fibers when grilling, in case sparks fly.

If the situation gets out of hand, then the burnt fat should not be flushed out with water. You should have a fire blanket, sand or fire extinguisher on hand. Even after grilling, embers are dangerous because they remain hot for a long time. Therefore, the grill should not be left unattended even after you have finished grilling. It is also not a good idea to throw glowing coals on the lawn, bed or sand, where children can trample on coals.

First aid for burns and burns
Burns and scalds are painful and often long lasting. And most importantly, act quickly after the accident, but at the same time calmly and wisely. First, the fire or burning clothing must be extinguished with water, a blanket, or by rolling on the floor. Burned clothing should be left on the body. Burned skin areas should be cooled immediately. This prevents the effect of heat in the tissues from continuing – the so-called “afterburn”. Small burns, for example on a finger, should be cooled with lukewarm water (at least 15 degrees) for about ten minutes. If a child has burn blisters, they should be kept closed to prevent the risk of infection. ARAG experts point out that burns of large areas should not be refrigerated, as this can lead to a dangerously low body temperature. Instead, the affected body parts should be covered loosely and without pressure with a germ-free bandage from a first aid kit. In parallel with all actions, the rescue service must be called immediately on the emergency number 112.

More interesting information at:
https: //www.arag.de/ …

Leave a Comment