Fruit fly trap: do you build it yourself or buy it? These possibilities exist
When temperatures rise, fruit flies are in high season: the tiny insects do no (health) harm, but they can be very annoying. Since they reproduce rapidly in a short time, quick action is required.
Insect has many names: fruit flies, vinegar flies and fruit flies are the most famous synonyms for the fruit fly. No matter what the animals call it, their existence doesn’t stay hidden for long. As soon as the outside temperature reaches at least ten degrees, the foraging begins: the menu includes fruit (ripe or cut), but juices, wine, and leftovers from garbage can also exert a magical attraction on fruit flies. And since one insect can lay hundreds of eggs, their numbers are increasing by leaps and bounds. After only two weeks, the next generation hatches, so your home will literally be flooded with little animals – if you don’t do anything about it. Below you can read how to get rid of fruit flies and the important components of a fruit fly trap.
Buying a fruit fly trap: the pros and cons
The classic fruit fly trap is commercially available: it attracts small insects with the help of so-called pheromones. surfaces glue traps So sticky that all animals stick to it – and they die. The advantage of this alternative is obviously the high effectiveness of attractants, but the disadvantage (at least for people who love animals) is that fruit flies die in this trap. Therefore, it should only be used in cases of severe infection.
Do it yourself: How to make a fruit fly trap
As an alternative to the purchased version, you can make your own fruit fly trap using just a few ingredients – with or without insecticidal effect. We give you both options.
killer fruit fly trap
The purpose of this trap is also to attract insects. This works well with apple cider vinegar Animals aren’t called vinegar flies for nothing. Alternatively, you can also use regular vinegar that you mix with apple juice (in a 1: 5 ratio). You will also need washing up liquid and a small bowl. Then proceed as follows:
- Choose an ideal location for a deadly fruit fly trap, for example near a fruit supply – or where most insects would prefer it to be.
- Fill the bowl with apple cider vinegar and add a little dish soap – this will break the surface tension and drown out the fruit flies.
- Then you should not move the bowl anymore, so that no liquid film collects on the edges, which animals pounce on first (instead of liquid).
live trap for fruit flies
Do you like fruit flies catch alive Then release it again (outside), you need the following ingredients: a small bowl, some vinegar, ripe fruits (such as a pear) plus cling film, a rubber band and something pointed – such as a knife or a needle. Then proceed as follows:
- Cut the fruit, preferably in small pieces.
- Pour a little vinegar into the bowl that covers the bottom.
- Put the fruit pieces in the vinegar.
- Close the container with cling film.
- Secure the foil with a household piece of rubber.
- Make some small holes in the foil.
Important: The holes should be large enough for fruit flies to fit through, but small enough that they cannot fly out.
The purpose of the trap is to capture animals, not kill them. This is possible thanks to the fresh fruit on which insects live.
Preventing Fruit Flies: This Is How It Works
To prevent fruit flies from breeding in your home in the first place, you can take preventative measures such as:
- Bring a fine network airplane screen On your windows not only keep fruit flies away, but also other insects (such as moths, flies and wasps).
- Since fruit flies find not only fruit, but leftovers as appetizing, you should throw away (organic) waste regularly – especially on warm days.
- going clove Aim to keep fruit flies away for a short time. However, since they lose their strength quickly, they must be replaced regularly.
- use one Hood Made of metal (different sizes are possible) to protect fresh or ripe fruit in a fruit fly container.
- Do not leave fruit juices, wine or beer bottles in an open area. Regardless of whether it is empty or full. Anything that attracts fruit flies should remain closed.
You may also be interested in:
This article contains so-called affiliate links. There is more information here.